Dougherty Family Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012

The worth of all souls

I have a habit of sharing a lot of personal things with my friends and family on-line. I have always been comfortable with that because the people who read my blog or my Facebook updates, are literally people I love, that I am close to. So that being said, the experience I am sharing now, is very personal but I feel impressed to share it because, sometimes we all need to reminder about how much God loves us. Last night, I said a prayer and it was answered. Not in God's time but in my time. When I needed it. Did I receive an answer because I am worthy or special or righteous? No. I received an answer because I am a child of God and he loves me. He loves me and all of us, as a parent loves a child. As a Mother, I am more able to understand the kind of love that is unfailing and unrelenting and without an end.

Lately, I have been feeling like it was time for me to change. Time for me to be better than I was yesterday. I knew that God's answer for me was in the Scriptures so I said a Prayer in the name of Jesus Christ for me to understand what God wants from me right now and I wanted to understand what I needed from Him. I also wanted to know if The Book of Mormon was really true. My testimony of the church has been weak. I have been doubtful at times, discouraged at others but always sure that for some reason, this church was the path that my Heavenly Father wanted me and my family to be on so I was compelled to stay. 

After I closed my Prayer, I opened my Scriptures, turned to The Book of Mormon and THIS my friends, is the first thing I saw and what I read. THIS was God talking to me: THIS is what God wants from me and for me. That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye give thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.
 
Yea, that ye be watchful unto prayer continually, that ye may not be led away by the temptations of the devil, that he may not overpower you, that ye may not become his subjects at the last day; for behold, he rewardeth you no good thing. Alma 34:38-39
 
That was God talking to me when I needed His Tender Mercy. His Guidance. I love every part of that message. Every bit of it is meant for me for where I am now. I especially loved the part that said - worship God in whatsoever place ye may be. To me that means, when I am in darkness, or doubt or light, doubt or pity, high or low, that I need to worship Him. That I need to give thanks for all my the many mercies and blessings that God bestowes upon me.

During that same scripture study, I also found this:  Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.  And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.
 
Small and simple things - Prayer, Scripture study, church attendance, obedience to the Comandments.
 
So thankful for the Love, Mercy and Guidance of our Father in Heaven. Thankful for answered prayers. Thankful, that our Heavenly Father sees the worth of all souls, even when we don't.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I truly forgot about my blogging feature on Gmail, so I forgot I had people to follow. I saw yours and decided to read this one.
    That scripture literally brought me to tears. It's something that I needed to read, as I've been down on myself. I appreciate your beautiful words and the opportunity you took to share your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete