Dougherty Family Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

How did a nice girl like me get into a mess like this?

Today I went to the doctor and realized that I have gained 18 pounds in one year. That's right people, 18 pounds in one year. It was easy too. All I had to do was eat too much, drink too many Dr. Peppers and sit around on my laptop way too much. So after a nervous breakdown in the doctor's office and a phone call to a friend, I have decided I'm gonna fight back. I will not sit idly by while my body stores more fat.

I am going to eat right, exercise, cry, sweat, cry avoid eating, exercise and not drink Dr. Pepper. Sadly friends, that is most likely what I will be doing for the next 6 months or so until diet and exercise become who I am not what I do.

So tonight I went to Zumba at the community center. I left with shin splints and a very wounded self-esteem. I can not keep up with the class. I can't even move my arms and legs in the right direction at the right time. My hips will not, nor have they ever moved like the 20 year old instructors hips move; nor will I ever be able to smile and clap while working out. After Zumba, I walked the track and listened to my ipod and that's when I realized that I used to fight for what I wanted and lately I haven't been a fighter. I also realized that I have won tough battles before. 7 years ago I quit smoking, two years ago I quit drinking coffee and six months ago I quit drinking Red Bulls. Believe me caffeine is mentally, physically and emotionally addictive. Saying goodbye to my beloved Dr. Pepper is going to be hard. Saying hello again to my size 10's will be worth it, or at least I hope it will be! So I guess if I want to lose weight, I am going to have to fight for it and work hard. Have I mentioned that I kinda hate working hard and I am really, really bad at self-discipline?

The title of this post is from Marjorie Pay Hinckley. What a wonderful woman she must have been! The more I learn about her and who she was, the more I love her.

3 comments:

  1. You are right on with your observations. I am right there with you. I have to step it up and do better myself. I quit fighting too. Time to step up and swing! You are a great inspiration. Keep on Truckin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so ya' know. Lots of people have health problems that cause them to gain weight and I'm not insensitive to that. Thankfuly, my weight is from bad choices and not health problems. I can fix bad choices but it's not easy to fix health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Letha! We must have been commenting at the same exact time. When I hit post I saw your comment pop up! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete